The Legacy and Lessons of Malcolm X

53 years ago today, the world lost a great man.

A man who spoke truth to power, who didn't work towards acceptance but towards respect, a man whose truths made America uncomfortable.

53 years later Malcolm X aka al-Hajj Malik al-Shabazz still teaches us lessons from the grave. Reading his autobiography made me think deeper about the world I live in. About what I am willing to do for freedom. His words, his truths, his courage, his radical love, his activism, and his undying commitment to justice inspires me every day. Malcolm X was a man who taught millions how to be unapologetically Muslim and unapologetically black. He may have been one of the most hated men in America but he was also the most respected, as his words tell us, "If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

His words ring true today, and just this week I was feeling overwhelmed and I remembered his words, my favorite Malcolm X quote that I have hanging in my room: "There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time." I aspire to be like this great man someday.

Comments